A long time ago Backpacker Magazine had a contest of the same name, the “Bag Night Challenge”. I love the concept of the contest and thought I would do my own. I waited ten years, that’s enough time, isn’t it? The idea is simple, track the number of nights you spend outside in your sleeping bag (Jan 1. 2012 to Dec. 31, 2012 or the 21st if you believe the world is going to end). The person at the end of the year with the most nights wins!
- Most bag nights – Your choice of either a down or synthetic sleeping bag (15 to 40 degree) from MontBell, Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy, a NeoAir Xlite from Thermarest, Action Wipes All in One Kit, and Meru Hat from Ibex
- Random winner - Your choice of either a down or synthetic sleeping bag (15 to 40 degree) from MontBell and a 15 pack of Action Wipes.
Other Prizes from:
- Julbo – Dirt Sunglasses
- Princeton Tec – Custom Fuel Headlamp
- Thermarest – NeoAir Xlite
- OR – To be announce
- Stanley – 1 Handed Water Bottle, Camp Cook Set, BPA free Water Bottle, and Interlock BPA free Camp Mug
- Ibex – Woolies Crew
- Osprey Packs – Viper or Verve Pack
- Action Wipes – All in one Kit or 15 pack
(and possibly more!)
To be fair here are a few rules to follow.
- The idea is to encourage people to get out in the woods, exploring, and enjoying nature. (car camping is okay) This is not about simply sleeping outdoors. It’s about experiencing nature and learning about it and yourself.
- For the time being there will also be bi-monthly prizes for those who have logged the most bag nights in that time frame. I will randomly select this winner. To be fair you can only win the bi-monthly prize once.
- To be fair to my pocket book and our sponsors only those in North America are eligible to win.
- You must provide when, where, # of nights and possibly pics.
- The BNC has the right to question any entry, and ask for further details.
- The contest is based on the honesty so play fair.
BAG NIGHTS THAT DON’T COUNT
- Sleeping inside with the window open
- Those who are thru-hiking or doing some other type of multi week trip (anything under 14 days, so 13 nights)
- Those who choose willing or otherwise to live in a tent outside
- Your backyard or porch
- In an Army tent on base (in the field is okay)
- Bag nights that do not have data to back them up.
Jan. 1st to Feb. 29th – Outdoor Research & 15 pack of Action Wipes
Mar. 1st to Apr. 3oth – Stanley & a All in One Kit from Action Wipes
May 1st to Jun. 30th – Julbo & 15 pack of Action Wipes
Jul. 1st to Aug. 31st – Ibex & All in One Kit from Action Wipes
Sept. 1st to Oct. 31st – Osprey & 15 pack of Action Wipes
Nov. 1st to Dec. 31st – Princeton Tec a All in One Kit from Action Wipes
How to play:
- Go out and sleep in your bag, in the woods on an overnight trip.
- Photos are welcome and will be posted (email the to scatman at adventuresofscatman dot com)
- Bonus Points! will be awarded to those who follow AOS on Twitter and Facebook and any of the sponsors on both as well.
- Don’t worry you can enter retroactively by listing your nights you’ve spent outdoors already.
***PLEASE NOTE THAT IF YOU ARE JUST JOINING NOT AND SIMPLY PUT IN A LARGE NUMBER OF NIGHTS, YOU MUST FOLLOW IT UP WITH AN EMAIL LETTING ME KNOW WHEN AND WHERE THEY HAPPENED. I NEED TO KNOW WHICH ROUND THEY ALL GO IN.***
Sponsors on Twitter:
Sponsor On Facebook
I will track everyone’s bag nights on a Goggle Doc and update the leader board which is located on the right side of my site. So add up those nights you’ve already been outside and start planning the next trip and enter to win!
Photos of contestants